126 years ago tomorrow, June 28, 2021, one-third of the Doukbohors in the Russian Caucasus joined in a daring protest of burning guns — all their killing weapons.
The significance of the Burning of Arms event for the Spirit Wrestlers / Doukhobors is enormous then and now. Why?
This concrete act catapulted the Russian group into the international arena. Civilization was presented with a nonkilling alternative strategy of living instead of the use of violence from the gun, the bomb and other weapons of mass destruction.
'Arms Burning by Russian Doukhobors in 1895
by William Perehudoff, 1969. Click picture to enlarge.
- List of all my previous Peace Day Messages.
- Russia: The Doukhobor 1895 Arms Burning is Relevant. Posted by Transcend Media Service, June 28, 2021.
- 'Does Canada Contribute to World Peace?' An open letter to the Prime Minister of Canada. Posted in World Beyond War, April 28, 2021.
- 'Historic 1895 Burning of Guns, selections and translations.' June 26, 2020.
- 'Tolstoy and the Doukhobors. Lessons from Nonkilling Leadership Experiences', at the First Global Leadership Forum, Hawaii, November 1-4, 2007.
- Peter's Day Commemorations, Doukhobor Calendar of Events Throughout Canada, USCC Doukhobors website.
- The Doukhobor Arms Burning of 1895, by Larry Ewashen.