|Sign on bakery roof.|
Up to 40 people waited in line at the Saskatoon Exhibition this year to buy fresh, hot "Doukhobor Bread" — now a brand name in Saskatchewan. All week, the aroma of the wood fire and bread yeast permeates the air at the Prairieland Park midway as shifts of Doukhobor volunteers toil morning to midnight to raise funds for charity.
|Brand Name : "Doukhobor Bread"|
'The volunteers who run the booth bake about 800 loaves a day the old fashioned way, in a nod to tradition and Saskatchewan's Doukhobor farming heritage.'
Doukhobor Bread is served hot from the wood brick oven, by the loaf ($6.50) or slice ($1.50). Jam and butter are provided.
|Isabelle Strelioff, SDS Treasurer, kneading dough.|
The local newspaper rates "Doukhobor Bread" #2 in their Saturday list of things to do. ('Finding Sask. at the Ex: Three things to catch at the Ex,' The Star-Phoenix, Aug. 13, 2011)
- Doukhobor Bread
- Doukhobor Bread in Saskatoon, August 2006, with photo.
- Bread a big ticket item at Saskatoon’s Ex : The Doukhobor society makes about 1,000 daily for the week, News Talk Radio 650 CKOM, Aug 11, 2013 — 7 photos
- Baking Bread the Doukhobor Way, video story by Ryan Androsoff, August 2013.
- Q&A — 28: What is the Meaning of Bread, Salt and Water?
- Hodge Podge : 2006 October 7 — Doukhobor Bread For Sale